Surname Smithy - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Smithy: What does the surname Smithy mean?
The last name Smithy is of English origin. It is an occupational name, derived from the old English word "smið," meaning "blacksmith." Traditionally, the Smithy family was composed of blacksmiths, who specialized in forging iron items such as tools, household items, and weapons. Smithy was also used as an occupational title when referring to the person in charge of a smithy, or smith shop.
More recently, Smithy is seen as a family name, created when an ancestor took up the occupation of a blacksmith and passed the name down throughout the generations. The last name could also have been used as a means of distinguishing one family from another, with various branches of the Smithy family becoming known as "Smithy of Haxstead," "Smithy of Grendon," and so on.
Although Smithy is still found across the UK and Europe, today few people use the name to refer to their occupation, and it is most commonly used as a surname or first name. People with this last name usually have no connection to the original blacksmiths and their art, but still carry the name down through the generations as a reminder of their ancestry and a long-held family tradition.
Smithy: Where does the name Smithy come from?
The last name Smithy is most commonly found in the United Kingdom and the United States. In the UK, it is most commonly found in England. It is the third most popular surname in the UK, just behind Jones and Williams. It is also the 40th most common surname in the US, where it is found in all 50 states.
The Smithy family name is believed to have originated in Yorkshire, England. It is believed that the family took on the name as a sign of their trade as blacksmiths. It is also possible that the family hails from the English port city of Newcastle, which served as a bustling center for maritime trade.
The Smithy surname is also found in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries founded or colonized by the British, as well as countries with a traditional British influence. It is especially common in countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, which have large populations of British descendants.
The Smithy name is still most commonly found in the UK and the US today. But, the family name can be found in other countries all around the world, some of which have historically strong links to Britain.
Variations of the surname Smithy
The surname Smithy is an English or Scottish name derived from "smith," the old English term for a metal worker or blacksmith. Variants of the surname Smithy include Smythe, Smithy, Smithie, Smyth, Smithe, Smeth and Smithes.
The descriptor "smith" is believed to come from the Old English word "smitan," which means "to smite," or strike. It may also derive from the Old English word "smythen," which means "to cut or shape metal."
This surname is displayed in various spellings including Smid, smit, Smyth, Smite, Smithie, Smitt, Smithe, Smithe, Smythe, Smidte, Smidtes, Smit, Smeethe, Smithe and Smything. A variation of the surname, "Smeth" or "Smeths," appears to be mainly found in Yorkshire.
The origin of the name dates back to the Middle Ages, when a smith was a highly skilled worker who made things out of metal. Blacksmiths and goldsmiths crafted tools, weapons, jewelry, architectural components and other items.
Due to the prominent role of smiths in the Middle Ages, the surname Smithy became very popular, and its variants are found throughout the world today, particularly in Britain, Europe, the United States and Canada. People with the Smithy surname often spell it differently and the same can be said about the Smithy's of today, who still often spell their surname alternative ways.
Famous people with the name Smithy
- Will Smith: Actor, musician, producer and philanthropist
- Jada Pinkett Smith: Actress, singer-songwriter, entrepreneur and philanthropist
- Samuel L. Jackson: Actor and film producer
- Matt Smith: Actor and director
- Jaden Smith: Actor, rapper and singer-songwriter
- Anna Nicole Smith: Former actress, model, and television personality
- Mark Smith: Former professional basketball player
- Corey Smith: Contemporary American Country music singer-songwriter
- Tyler Smith: Singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist
- Harry Smith: Professional wrestler
- Betty Smith: Author of the beloved American classic, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"
- Anna Deavere Smith: Actress, playwright and professor
- Michael W. Smith: Grammy Award-winning Contemporary Christian music singer and songwriter
- Emily Smith: Scottish folk singer-songwriter
- Dave Smith: Canadian politician
- Pat Smith: Olympic gold medalist in wrestling
- Chace Stanback: Former professional basketball player
- Amanda Smith: Retired professional female bodybuilder
- Tristan Smith: British actor
- Bob Smith: American stand-up comedian and actor